October is Dental Month at Laveen Veterinary Center, which makes this the perfect time to discuss why your pet needs annual dental exams and teeth cleaning. Remember that when you book your pet's dental in the month of October, you will receive 10% OFF their dental exam.
The dental cleaning process begins with an oral exam of your pet’s mouth by a veterinarian. X-rays may be needed to evaluate the health of the jaw and the tooth roots below the gumline. Because most dental disease occurs below the gumline, where you can’t see it, a thorough dental cleaning and evaluation are performed under anesthesia. Dental cleaning includes scaling (to remove dental plaque and tartar) and polishing, similar to the process used on your own teeth during your regular dental cleanings.
1) Periodontal Disease: Did you know that 4 out of 5 dogs over the age of 3 years have some sort of periodontal disease? It can be caused by the buildup of plaque, so it’s important to go in for regular dental checkups and cleanings.
2) Retained baby teeth can cause problems: Did you know that full grown dogs have 42 teeth and full grown cats have 30 teeth? Before their adult teeth grow in, though, their baby teeth have to fall out. Sometimes, not all of the baby teeth want to come out. This can lead to problems like gum irritation and tartar buildup.
3) Organ Problems: Dental disease can actually lead to problems with your pet’s organs, such as the heart.
4) Dental Problems Can Be Hidden: Your dog and cat are very good at hiding pain – you might never know that your pet has a serious dental problem until it’s very advanced. This is yet another reason it’s important to take your pet in for regular dental checkups.
5) Losing Teeth is Painful: Pets that don’t get dental care can painfully lose their teeth – this can be terribly painful and cause serious health problems.
You need regular dental care and you brush your teeth everyday – why wouldn’t your pets? Book your pet's dental exam online or call us at (602) 559-9600